Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Sprain/Strain
If you are experiencing symptoms, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor before commencing any self-management strategies. Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is SI Joint Sprain/Strain?
SI Joints are weight bearing joints that are linked to the lumbar spine, sacrum, and pelvis, and are surrounded by ligaments and muscles.
When these joints don’t move, or they move too much, the joint can become under strain, leading to problems with surrounding tissues such as ligaments and muscles.
What are the symptoms of SI Joint Sprain/Strain?
You usually experience:
- Localised pain to the lower back and/or buttocks
- Sharp or stabbing pain
- Pain better with rest
- Pain worse with weight bearing such as walking and rising from a chair
What causes lower back pain due to SI Joint Sprain/Strain?
- Lower back pain in women during pregnancy due to increase in ligament laxity and increase in SI joint movement.
- A difference in leg length
If I experience lower back pain from SI Joint Sprain / Strain, what can I do?
- Ice to the affected area. Click this link for duration