If you are experiencing symptoms, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor before commencing any self-management strategies. Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is Lumbar Sprain/Strain?
It is a soft tissue stretch or rupture causing damage to the ligaments and muscles surrounding the lumbar spine, sacrum and pelvis regions i.e. lower back region.
The grade of the sprain/strain is dependent on severity of injury.
What are the symptoms of Lumbar Sprain / Strain?
You usually experience:
- Pain in the lower back immediately or shortly after an injury
- Lower back pain which may radiate into the lower middle back or into the buttocks
- Reduced range of motion.
What are the causes of Lumbar Sprain/Strain?
- Direct trauma such as falls, motor vehicle accidents, and sports injuries
- Overuse, fatigue, and repetitive microtrauma
- Postural Causes such as increase or decrease of lumbar lordosis, prolonged stressful postures with desk and computer work
- Sudden unguarded movement
- Additional factors such as muscle imbalances, prior injuries, uneven leg lengths, and inappropriate increase in training regime.
If I experience lower back pain from Lumbar Sprain / Strain, what can I do?
- Ice to the affected area. Click this link for duration
- Use of a back brace, however, this should not be used long-term
- Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) – it is best to check with GP or pharmacist before use