If you have lower back pain symptoms, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor before commencing any self-management strategies. Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is Lumbar Sprain/Strain?
It is a soft tissue stretch or rupture causing damage to the ligaments and muscles surrounding the lumbar spine, sacrum and pelvis regions i.e. lower back region.
The grade of the sprain/strain is dependent on severity of injury.
What are the symptoms of Lumbar Sprain / Strain?
You usually experience:
- Pain in the lower back immediately or shortly after an injury
- Lower back pain which may radiate into the lower middle back or into the buttocks
- Reduced range of motion.
What are the causes of Lumbar Sprain/Strain?
- Direct trauma such as falls, motor vehicle accidents, and sports injuries
- Overuse, fatigue, and repetitive microtrauma
- Postural Causes such as increase or decrease of lumbar lordosis, prolonged stressful postures with desk and computer work
- Sudden unguarded movement
- Additional factors such as muscle imbalances, prior injuries, uneven leg lengths, and inappropriate increase in training regime.
If I experience lower back pain from Lumbar Sprain / Strain, what can I do?
- Ice to the affected area. Click this link for duration
- Use of a back brace, however, this should not be used long-term
- Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) – it is best to check with GP or pharmacist before use
If you are feeling off centre and have symptoms,
It is advised to call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online and one of our experienced Chiropractors at Aurum Health Care can assess and formulate a treatment plan for you to get you on the road to recovery.