Cervical (Neck) Sprain/Strain
What is Cervical (Neck) Sprain/Strain?
It is when damage occurs in the soft tissue i.e. ligaments, muscles, intervertebral discs and other tissues surrounding the cervical spine either through excessive stretch, tears or rupture.
The grade of the sprain/strain is dependent on severity of injury.
What are the symptoms caused by a Cervical (Neck) Sprain / Strain?
You usually experience:
- Pain in the neck and upper shoulders
- Radiation of pain into the base of skull or down the shoulder and / or arm
- Headaches and tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
What are the cause of neck pain due to Cervical (Neck) Sprain / Strain?
- Direct trauma – such as falls, motor vehicle accidents (whiplash) or sports injuries
- Overuse, fatigue or repetitive micro trauma
- Postural Causes
- Increase or decrease of cervical lordosis (neck curve)
- Prolonged stressful positioning i.e. poor posture at the computer or desk
- Sudden unguarded movement
Who usually experiences neck pain from Cervical (Neck) Sprain / Strain?
- Approximately 85% of all neck pain is due to acute or repetitive neck injuries
- Women more than men
If I experience neck pain from Cervical (neck) Sprain / Strain, what can I do?
- Ice to the affected area. Click this link for duration
- Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) – it is best to check with GP or pharmacist before use
For a more customised self-management plan and if symptoms do not improve,
Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online and one of our experienced Chiropractors at Aurum Health Care can assess and formulate a treatment plan for you to get you on the road to recovery.