Lumbar Facet Syndrome
If you have lower back pain symptoms, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor before commencing any self-management strategies. Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is Lumbar Facet Syndrome?
Facet or Z-joints are those joints located behind adjacent vertebrae and are responsible for prolonged stability in the spinal column whilst allowing movement. Lumbar Facet Syndrome occurs when these joints become irritated or damaged and cause lower back pain and/or discomfort.
What are the symptoms of Lumbar Facet Syndrome?
You usually experience:
- Feeling off-centre or that your spine is bent in one direction
- Experiencing a dull, achy pain which is localised to the lower back
- Pain may also radiate into buttock and/or thigh
What causes lower back pain due to Lumbar Facet Syndrome?
- A sprain of the surrounding ligaments or joint capsules
- Meniscoid (cartilage in joints) entrapment
- Degenerative disc disease of the z-joints or facet joints
If I experience lower back pain from Lumbar Facet Syndrome, what can I do?
- Ice to the affected area. Click this link for duration
- Use of a back brace, however, this should not be used long-term
- Avoid positions that cause pain
Evidence-based research has shown facet syndromes respond well to conservative treatment such as gentle mobilisations and manipulations performed by a trained and experienced Chiropractor.
For a more customised self-management plan and if symptoms do not improve, call us on 9899 1416 and one of our experienced Chiropractors at Aurum Health Care can assess and formulate a treatment plan for you to get you on the road to recovery.