With any initial headache you should seek further assessment to rule out any pathology. If you experience vomiting, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision or disorientation with your headache, please see your GP immediately. If you suffer from chronic headaches and migraines, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor to assess and formulate a treatment plan so you can be on the road to recovery. Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is a Tension Headache?
It is an intermittent headache described as ‘a band of pain around the head like a headband’. It is associated with muscle origin, trigger points, and other myofascial syndromes.
What are the symptoms of a Tension Headache?
You usually experience:
- Pain at base of head or at front of head
- Pain described as tightness, squeezing, pressure or band-like around the head
- No nausea, vomiting, or sensitivity to light, sound or aura
What are the causes of a Tension Headache?
- Lack of rest or sleep
- Muscle stress such as postural imbalance, a history of neck injury, or TMJ (Jaw) syndrome
- Psychological factors such as depression, anxiety
- Social factors
Who usually experiences a Tension Headache?
- Tension Headaches are more common in females than males
- It also most common in young adults
Is there anything I can do to help with my Tension Headache?
Some self-management strategies you need to discuss with our Chiropractors include:
- Ice/Heat depending on which feels better
- Stress management and relaxation techniques
- Engaging in a normal sleep pattern
- Exercise, balanced diet, avoidance of aggravating postures and activities
- Gentle stretching
Please note: Seek immediate medical care if you experience:
- Sudden onset of a very severe headache
- New headache especially in above 60 years of age
- New signs and symptoms with the headache e.g. numbness, tingling, weakness
- Changes in personality
- Seizures, vomiting
- Persistent headache
- Unable to move neck
- Anticoagulant therapy i.e. warfarin
- Children with headache
- Known cancer
- Pressure in the eyes