Scheuermann’s Disease (also known as Scheuermann’s Juvenile Kyphosis, Vertebral Epiphysitis, Juvenile Disc Disorder)
If you have mid back pain symptoms, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor before commencing any self-management strategies. Call 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is Scheuermann’s Disease?
It is the deformity in the thoracic or thoracolumbar spine due to abnormal growth and changes in the vertebra. It may be limited to several thoracic vertebrae or the entire thoracic and lumbar spine.
A rounded upper back or sometimes called a ‘hump back’ in the mid back region is usually noticed in healthy adolescents.
What are the symptoms of Scheuermann’s Disease?
You usually experience:
- Dull, achy intermittent mid-back pain which worsens with activity and improves with rest
- Mid-back pain and fatigue
- Visual deformity, “hump” in the mid-back region or poor posture
What causes Scheuermann’s Disease?
There appears to be a hereditary component involved in the development of the condition, but no mode of inheritance has been identified.
Though the cause remains unclear, some theories are:
- Trauma to the endplate of the vertebra
- Poor bone density
Who usually experiences mid back pain caused by Scheuermann’s Disease?
- It is most common in those aged 13-17 years old
- More males than females have Scheuermann’s Disease
- Scoliosis in the area of kyphosis (rounded area) in approximately 20-40% of patients
- Localised changes in the vertebra may be limited to several vertebral bodies or the entire thoracic or lumbar spine – about 75% of cases are in the thoracic spine, and about 25% of cases are in the thoracolumbar spine
If I do experience mid back pain due to Scheuermann’s Disease, what can I do?
Seek advice from our experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractors because before formulating a treatment plan, a detailed assessment needs to be performed to determine the:
- Severity of the curvature in the back
- Amount of flexibility in the area
- Whether the individual is expected to continue to grow
For a more customised self-management plan and if symptoms do not improve,
Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online and one of our experienced Chiropractors at Aurum Health Care can assess and formulate a treatment plan for you to get you on the road to recovery.