With any initial headache you should seek further assessment to rule out any pathology. If you experience vomiting, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision or disorientation with your headache, please see your GP immediately. If you suffer from chronic headaches and migraines, it is advised to see an experienced Aurum Health Care Chiropractor to assess and formulate a treatment plan so you can be on the road to recovery. Call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online.
What is a Migraine?
It is recurring head pain due to changes in the brain and surrounding vasculature.
There are two types:
- Migraine with aura (classic) – which is approximately 20% of migraines
- Migraine without aura (common) – which is approximately 80% of migraines.
What are the symptoms of a Migraine?
You usually experience:
- Aura and nervous system symptoms such as visual disturbances or sensitivity to smells precede a migraine. They are then followed by a headache within the hour.
- Most commonly hazy spots, shimmering lights, and different patterns.
- A headache between several hours to an entire day.
- Nausea, vomiting, sensitive to light and sound.
- Pins and needles, numbness in hands and arms which may jump to face or tongue.
What causes of a Migraine?
- Being a ‘Type A’ personality (highly strung, perfectionist)
There is a multifactorial theory for Migraine. These include:
- Chemical sensitivities/hormonal
Who usually experiences a Migraine?
- It is more common in females than males
- Individuals usually start experiencing migraines during puberty.
Is there anything I can do to help with my Migraine Headache?
Yes, there is. After consulting one of our experienced Chiropractors, they will be able to guide you on effective strategies to manage your Migraine Headache.
Some strategies you need to discuss with our Chiropractors include:
- Stress management
Please note: Seek immediate medical care if you experience:
- Sudden onset of a very severe headache
- New headache especially in above 60 years of age
- New signs and symptoms with the headache e.g. numbness, tingling, weakness
- Changes in personality
- Seizures, vomiting
- Persistent headache
- Unable to move neck
- Anticoagulant therapy i.e. warfarin
- Children with headache
- Known cancer
- Pressure in the eyes
With any headache you should seek further assessment to rule out any pathology.
For a more customised plan and if symptoms do not improve, call us on 9899 1416 or Book Online and one of our experienced Chiropractors at Aurum Health Care can assess and formulate a treatment plan for you to get you on the road to recovery.